The time allowed for writing the exam is 3 hours. The exam has 52 questions, each of which is worth 1 point. The passing grade is 80%. The materials needed for taking the exam are provided: a pencil, a blank sheet of paper, a calculator, and an eraser. No other materials or reference documents are allowed in the exam.
Skill Content on Which Questions May Be Based
Section 1 - Maintenance of a mobile crane (20%)
- Recognizing the procedure for verifying wear on the mobile crane
- Inspecting the rigging equipment
- Lubricating the mechanical components of the mobile crane
- Cleaning the mobile crane
- Distinguishing the information to record regarding the condition of the mobile crane
Section 2 - Preparing to transport a mobile crane and its accessories (10%)
- Understanding the elements included in the assembly plan for the mobile crane
- Recognizing the components and equipment needed for the tasks included in the work order
- Finding information on transporting the accessories for the mobile crane
Section 3 - Preparing assembly, installation, and disassembly of a mobile crane on a site(50%)
- Preparing to assemble, install, or disassemble the mobile crane
- Guiding the crane operator in parking the carrier or the mobile crane
- Understanding the information contained in the assembly plan for the mobile crane
- Interpreting the information necessary to safe installation of the mobile crane
- Understanding the information necessary to disassembling components of the mobile crane
Section 4 - Preparing for hoisting jobs (20%)
- Identify the data necessary for hoisting jobs
- Preparing the rigging equipment according to the loads to lift
- Recognizing the potential dangers of hoisting jobs
- Using manual hoisting signals
The suggested documents are an important tool to help you prepare for the examination. However, your best asset to write the exam successfully are the quality and diversity of the skills you have acquired during your apprenticeship.
CSA GROUPE. Code on Mobile Crane, Mississauga, Groupe CSA, 2012, 132 p. (Standard CAN/CSA-Z150-11).
Tel.: 514 428-2418 or 1800 463-6727;
Fax: 514 694-5001
CONSTRUCTION SAFETY ASSOCIATION OF ONTARIO. Hoisting and Rigging Safety Manual, Etobicoke, Ont., CSAO, 2009, 168 p.
Tel.: 1 800 781-2726; fax: 416 674-8866
QUÉBEC (PROVINCE). Safety Code for the Construction Industry: S-2.1, r.6:, Sainte‑Foy, Éditeur officiel du Québec, 2003, xvii, 260 p. Publications du Québec:
Tel.: 1 800 463-2100;
Fax.: 1 800 561-3479
Note: This publication is also available on the Web: www.publicationsduquebec.gouv.qc.ca