The time allowed for writing the exam is 3 hours. The exam has 52 questions, each of which is worth 1 point. The passing grade is 80%. The materials needed for taking the exam are provided: a pencil, a blank sheet of paper, a calculator, and an eraser. No other materials or reference documents are allowed in the exam.
Skill content on which questions may be based
Section 1 - Verifying the boom truck (15%)
- Verifying the condition of the boom truck before operation
- Distinguishing information related to the condition of the boom truck
- Inspecting the rigging Equipment
Section 2 - Operating a boom truck on the construction site (35%)
- Starting the engine of the boom truck
- Driving the boom truck on site
- Installing the boom truck
- Parking the boom truck at the end of the workday
Section 3 - Handling materials (50%)
- Recognizing the potential dangers of hoisting jobs
- Interpret manual hoisting signals
- Interpret hoisting charts
- Verifying the rigging
- Moving materials
The suggested documents are an important tool to help you prepare for the examination. However, your best asset to write the exam successfully are the quality and diversity of the skills you have acquired during your apprenticeship.
- CSA GROUPE. Safety Code on Mobile Crane, Mississauga, Groupe CSA, 2012, 132 p. (Standard CAN/CSA-Z150-11).
Tel.: 514 428-2418 or 1800 463-6727; Fax: 514 694-5001
- CONSTRUCTION SAFETY ASSOCIATION OF ONTARIO. Hoisting and Rigging Safety Manual, Etobicoke, Ont., CSAO, 2009, 168 p.
Tel.: 1 800 781-2726; Fax: 416 674-8866
- QUÉBEC (PROVINCE). Safety Code for the Construction Industry: S-2.1, r.6:, Sainte‑Foy, Éditeur officiel du Québec, 2003, xvii, 260 p.
Publications du Québec: Tel.: 1 800 463-2100; Fax.: 1 800 561-3479
Note: This publication is also available on the Web:
ASSOCIATION PARITAIRE POUR LA SANTÉ ET LA SÉCURITÉ DU TRAVAIL. SECTEUR CONSTRUCTION. Aide-mémoire de prévention – Élingues et accessoires de levage, ASP Construction, 2012.
Tel.: 514 355-6190 or 1 800 361-2061
Fax: 514 355-7861
This publication is also available free of charge on the website: