The examination is 3 hours long. It consists of 61 questions and each question is worth 1 point. The required passing grade is 60%. The materials supplied for your use during the examination are: a calculator, a pencil, a paper sheet and an eraser. No other material or reference document is allowed during the examination.
Skill Content on Which Questions May Be Based
Section 1 – Learning about the Work to be Done (20%)
- Recognizing applicable standards for various systems
- Describe the characteristics and operation of various systems (wet-pipe, dry-pipe, preaction, deluge, foam, etc.)
- Interpreting plans and specifications
Section 2 – Installing and Modifying Sprinkler Systems (50%)
- Installing pipe supports and anchor
- Choosing and preparing pipes
- Doing pipe calculations
- Installing pipe accessories
- Installing seismic supports and separation joints
- Selecting and installing sprinklers
- Installing underground lines
- Installing the backflow preventer (BP)
- Installing a fire hall and its accessories (including the fire pump)
- Modifying an existing sprinkler system
- Testing fire protection systems
Section 3 – Connecting components of sprinkler systems and special fire protection systems (15%)
- Installing and connecting activation, monitoring and alarm components of fire protection systems
- Performing tests on activation systems (triggering, smoke, reaction times, etc.)
- Starting up a system
Section 4 – Ensuring the good operation of fire protection Systems (15%)
- Planning inspection, management and repair work
- Determining the frequency of inspecting and replacing components and accessories
- Checking the condition and operation of a fire protection system, its components and accessories
- Maintaining components (compressor, fire pump)
- Repairing a system (troubleshooting)
Samples of questions for provincial qualification examination.
The suggested documents are an important tool to help you prepare for the examination. However, your best asset to write the exam successfully are the quality and diversity of the skills you have acquired during your apprenticeship.
NATIONAL FIRE PROTECTION ASSOCIATION (ÉTATS-UNIS). Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler System NFPA 13, ed. 2013. Quincy, Massachusetts : NFPA, 2013, 443 p.
NATIONAL FIRE PROTECTION ASSOCIATION (ÉTATS-UNIS). Standard for the Installation of Stationary Pumps for Fire Protection : NFPA 20, ed. 2010 Quincy, Massachusetts : NFPA, 2010, 1 v.