The examination is 3 hours long. It consists of 66 questions and each question is worth 1 point. The required passing grade is 60%. The materials supplied for your use during the examination are: a scientific calculator, a pencil, an eraser, a paper sheet and Chapter III – Plumbing Quebec Construction Code. No other material or reference document is allowed during the examination.
Skill Content on Which Questions May Be Based
Section 1 - Installing and Modifying Plumbing Systems (65%)
- Interpreting plans and specifications
- Taking safety measures
- Taking measurements for passing pipes in the following systems: sanitary and storm drainage, ventilation and distribution of the potable water system
- Installing supports and anchors
- Putting in place and connecting production devices, fixtures, appliances and accessories
- Doing calculations on various types of piping
- Installing pipes and drains
- Testing the system’s watertightness, starting the system and making adjustments
- Applying the procedure to modify the plumbing system
- Shutting down the plumbing system.
Section 2 - Performing Plumbing Systems Maintenance (15%)
- Maintenance of piping in cases of wastewater, storm water, reclaimed water and process water
- Maintenance of piping in the case of domestic water
- Maintenance of fixtures and their components
- Testing fixtures and piping.
Section 3 - Repairing Plumbing Systems (20%)
- Diagnosing plumbing system problems
- Repairing or replacing pipes and fixtures
- Testing the plumbing system and putting it back into operation.
Samples of questions for provincial qualification examination.
The suggested documents are an important tool to help you prepare for the examination. However, your best asset to write the exam successfully are the quality and diversity of the skills you have acquired during your apprenticeship.
NATIONAL RESEARCH COUNCIL OF CANADA. Quebec Construction Code, Chapter III - Plumbing and National Plumbing Code of Canada (amended), Ottawa, National Research Council of Canada, 2014.
Ultimate Guide to Plumbing. Upper Saddle River, N.J. Creative Homeowner, 2010, 304 p.
Canadian Woof-Frame House Construction, Ottawa, Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), 2013, 315 p.You can obtain and download this document free of charge from the CMHC: www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca
CORPORATION DES MAÎTRES MÉCANICIENS EN TUYAUTERIE DU QUÉBEC. Explanatory Drawings 2010 National Plumbing Code, Montreal, Corporation des maîtres mécaniciens du Québec, 2012, 109 p.