Sole proprietorship

A physical person operating a sole proprietorship automatically becomes the designated representative with the Commission de la construction du Québec (CCQ). The sole proprietorship must also:

  • Hold a licence issued by the Régie du bâtiment du Québec (RBQ)
  • Be registered with the CCQ

The sole proprietorship must declare the hours worked by its employees in monthly reports. On the other hand, the physical person operating this company cannot declare his or her own hours worked since he or she is considered the employer. However, if this person holds a trade contractor licence, he or she may also act as an independent contractor.

Competency certificates

The physical person operating a sole proprietorship must also hold a competency certificate or apply for one from the CCQ. However, the terms for obtaining a competency certificate for an employer candidate are different from those for an employee.