Labour pools

A competency certificate is issued by the Commission de la construction du Québec (CCQ) for the worker’s region of residence. Workers may therefore work on the sites in their region, where they usually benefit from hiring preference. They may also work on sites in other regions when the workforce mobility rules allow it.


Because moving may lead to a change of residential region, it is important to provide the CCQ with the necessary documentation when you change address.

Labour shortage

Sometimes, there are not enough workers holding a specific competency certificate in a region to fill the jobs available. For this imbalance to be termed a “labour shortage,” the CCQ’s data must show that fewer than 5% of the employees holding an apprentice competency certificate (ACC) issued for a trade or an occupation competency certificate (OCC) in a given region are available.

In this case, non-graduate applicants may obtain an apprentice competency certificate or an occupation competency certificate. In addition to completing their apprenticeship, apprentices must also take upgrading training given by the CCQ to keep their certificate and be eligible to take the exam that will enable them to obtain their journeyman certificate. Holders of an occupation competency certificate must complete 60 hours of training, including the course Cours de connaissance générale de l’industrie de la construction.

Check the state of the labour pools