Recognition of training

To be recognized as equivalent, diplomas and training obtained outside of Québec must correspond to the Quebec study program required to practise a trade regulated by the construction industry.

A person who has not completed secondary school in Québec but who completed equivalent studies outside of Québec may ask the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion (MIDI) for a comparative evaluation of his or her education. This evaluation is intended to establish a correspondence between studies completed and the Québec school system. It is possible to submit to the Commission de la construction du Québec (CCQ) an original of the document Comparative Evaluation for Studies Done Outside Québec if it attests that the studies were done in French or English and that a Secondary 3 (Secondary 3 is accepted for admission to certain study programs), 4, or 5, a DEC, or a bachelor’s degree has been earned.

An alternative for this person would be to have his or her knowledge acquired and skills recognized in order to obtain a Québec vocational studies diploma (DEP) more rapidly. Relevant work experience acquired outside of Québec may be useful in reducing the length of the apprenticeship in a trade or occupation. It does not, however, affect the evaluation of knowledge acquired outside of Québec for obtaining a DEP.

The evaluation and the recognition of training outside of Québec are offered in different schools. To find out more, contact the CCQ’s Customer Services or the school board in your Québec region of residence.