If you come from another province: Agreement on Internal Trade

On April 1, 2009, the federal government and the provincial governments amended chapter 7 of the Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT) adopted in 1994. This agreement aims to facilitate worker mobility among Canada’s provinces and territories.

To find out more about the agreement, consult the “Grand Dossier” section of the Ministère du Travail, de l'Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale (MTESS) Web site (available in French only).

Working on Québec construction sites

In Québec, measures for access to the construction industry are defined by regulation (Act R-20). To practise an occupation or a regulated trade in the Québec construction industry, whether as a worker, an employer or a designated representative, you must fulfil three minimal conditions:

Accreditations, certificates, and Red Seal

  1. If you have a Red Seal endorsement in a trade designated by the Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Program, your skills in this trade are recognized, and a competency certificate will be issued to you. You must, however, choose the region where you wish to work in order to obtain your competency certificate.
  2. If you hold an accreditation or certificate in a construction trade issued by New Brunswick, Ontario, or Newfoundland and Labrador, it is possible that your skills will be recognized under a bilateral agreement between Québec and that province.
  3. If you hold an accreditation or certificate for a construction trade issued in another Canadian province or territory, your skills may be recognized on condition that the definition of your trade is equivalent to the trade as it is practised in Québec.

If you are in one of the above situations and fulfil the minimal conditions, you may apply for a competency certificate with the CCQ’s Customer Services, by mail or in person by going to one of our regional offices. Your file must be complete; if not, we will not proceed with an analysis. Your application must therefore include:

Your file will be sent to our Review Committee for analysis. If your application is accepted, you will receive your competency certificate by mail. If your application is rejected, we will refund your $100. You will be notified by mail.